Cattle Transport References
(Updated November 2013)
- Boleman, S.L., et al. 1998. National Beef Quality Audit -1995 -Survey of producer related defects on carcass quality and quantity attributes. Journal of Animal Science, 76:96-103.
- Brown, R. and Leite-Browning, M.L. 2012. Comparative stress responses to short transport related events in Hereford and Brahman steers. Journal of Animal Science. 91:957-969.
- Eldridge, C.A., Winfield, C.G., and Cahill, D.J. 1988. Responses of cattle to different space allowances, pen sizes and road conditions during transport. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 28:155-159.
- Fike, K. and Spire, M.F. 2006. Transportation of cattle veterinary clinics of North America. Food Animal Practice. 22:305-320.
- Gonzalez, L.A., Schwartzkoft-Genswein, K.S., Bryan, M., Silasi, R., and Brown, F. 2012. Factors affecting body weight loss during commercial long haul transport in North America. Journal of Animal Science. doi:10.2527/jas.2011-4786.
- Gonzalez, L.A., Schwartzkoft-Genswein, K.S., Bryan, M., Silasi, R., and Brown, F. 2012. Space allowance during commercial long distance transport in North America. Journal of Animal Science. doi:10.2527/jas.2011-4771.
- Gonzalez, L.A., Schwartzkoft-Genswein, K.S., Bryan, M., Silasi, R., and Brown, F. 2012. Relationship between transport condition and welfare outcomes during commercial long haul transport of cattle in North America. Journal of Animal Science. doi:10.2527/jas.2011-4796.
- Grandin, T. 1981a. Livestock Trucking Guide Livestock Conservation Institute, Bowling Green, Kentucky.
- Grandin T. 1981b. Bruises on southwestern feedlot cattle. Journal of Animal Science 53 (Suppl. 1, pp 213 (abstract)).
- Grandin T. 1997. Assessment of stress during handling and transport. Journal of Animal Science 75:249-257.
- Grandin, T. 2010. Welfare during transport of livestock and poultry. In T. Grandin (Editor) Improvign Animal Welfare: A Practical Approach. CABI Publishing. UK. pp.115-138.
- Hoffman, D.E., Spire, M.E., Schwenke, J.R., and Unrub, J.A. 1998. Effect of source of cattle and distance transported to a commercial slaughter
facility on carcass bruises in mature beef cows. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 212:668-672.
- Jongman, E.C. and Butler, K.C. 2012. Ease of moving young calves at different ages. Australean Veterinary Journal. 91:94-98.
- Knowles, T.C. 1999. A review of road transport of cattle. Veterinary Record 144:197-201.
- Minka, N.S. and Ayo, J.O. 2010. Physiological responses of food animals to road transportation stress: A Review. African Journal of Biotechnology. 9:6601-6613.
- Nicholson, J.P.W, et al. 2013. Survey of transportation procedure management practices and health assessments related to quality, quantity, and value for market beef, dairy cows, and bulls. Journal of Animal Science. 91:5026-5936.
- Self, H.L., and Gay, N. 1972. Shrink during shipment of feeder cattle. Journal of Animal Science 35: 489-494.
- Tarrant, P.V., and Grandin, T. 2000. Cattle Tansport: In T. Grandin (Editor) Livestock Handling and Transport (2nd Edition), CAB International, U.K.
- Tarrant, P.V., Kelly, F.J., and Harrington, D. 1988. The effect of stocking density during 4 hour transport to slaughter, on behavior, blood constituents and carcass bruising in Friesian steers. Meat Science 24:209-222.
- Tarrant, P.V., Kenny, F.J., Harrington, D., and Murphy, M. 1992. Long distance transportation of steers to slaughter: effect of stocking density on physiology, behavior and carcass quality. Livestock Production Science 30:223-238.
- Vimiso, P. and Muchenje, V. 2013. A survey on the effect of transport method on bruises, pH, and colors of meat from cattle slaughtered at South Africal commercial abattoir. South African Journal of Animal Science.
- Warriss, P.D., Brown, S.N., Knowles, T.G., Kestin, S.C., Edwards, J.E., Dolan, S.K. and Phillips, A.J. 1995. The Veterinary Record 136:319-323.
- White, B.J., Blasi, D., Vogel, L.C., Epp, M. 2009. Association of beef calf wellness and body weight gain with internal location in a truck during transportation. Journal of Animal Science. 87:4143-4150.
Click here to return to the Homepage for more information on animal behavior, welfare, and care.