Pig Transport References
(Updated November 2013)
- Grandin, T. (1981) Livestock Trucking Guide. Livestock conservation Institue, 1910 Lyda Drive, Bowling Green, Kentucky 42104, USA.
- Grandin, T. (1997) Assessment of stress during handling and transport. Journal of Animal Science. 75:249-257.
- Guise, H.J., Riches, H.L., Hunter, E.J., Jones, T.A., Warriss, P.D., and Kettlewell, P.J. (1998) The effect of stocking density in transit on the carcass quality and welfare of slaughter pigs: L. Carcass measurements, Meat Science, 50:439-446.
- Haley, C., Dewey, C.E., Widowski, T., and Friendship, R. 2008. Association between transport losss, internal trailer temperature, and distrance traveled by Ontario market hogs. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research. 72:385-389.
- Hall, S.J., and Bradshow, H.R. (1998) Welfare aspects of the transport by road of sheep and pigs. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 1:235-254.
- Knowles, T.G., Brown, S.N., Edwards, J.E., and Warriss, P.D. (1998) Ambient temperature below which pigs should not be continuosly showered in lairage. Veterinary Record, 143:575-578.
- Lewis, N.J. 2008. Transport of early weaned piglets. Applied Animal Behavior Science. 110:128-135,385-389.
- Perremans, S., Randall, J.M., Allegaert, L., Stiles, M.A., Rombouts, G., and Geers, R. (1998) Influence of vertical vibration on heart rate of pigs. Journal of Animal Science, 76:416-420.
- Rajkowshi, K.T., Eblen, S., and Laubauch, C. (1998) Efficacy of washing and sanitizing trailers used for swine transport in reduxtion of salmonella and Escherichia coli. Journal of Food Protection, 61:31-35.
- Randall, J.M., and Bradshow, R.H. (1998) Vehical motion and motion sickness in pigs. Aminal Science, 66:239-243.
- Ritter, M.J., et al. 2009. Review: Transport losses in market weight pigs: A review of definitions, incidence, and economic impact. Professional Animal Scientist. 25:404-414.
- Ritter, M.C., Ellis, M., Bertelsen, C.R., et al. 2009. Effects of distance moved during loading and floor space on the trailer during transport on losses in market weight pigs on arrival at the packing plant. Journal of Animal Science. 85:3454-3461.
- Roldan-Santiago, P., et al. 2013. Stressor factors in the transport of weaned piglets: A Review. Veterinami Medicina. 58:241-251.
- Sutherland, M.A., Bryer, P.J., Davis, B.C., and McGlone, J.J. 2009. Space requirements for weaned pigs during sixty minute transport in summer. Journal of Animal Science. 87:363-370.
- Warriss, P.D. (1998) Choosing appropriate space allowances for slaughter pigs transported by road. (A review) Veterinary Record, 142:449-454
- Warriss, P.D., Brown, S.N., Knowles, T.G., Edwards, J.E., Kettlewell, P.G., and Guise, H.J. (1998) The effect of stocking density in transit on the carcass quality and welfare of slaughter pigs: Results from the analysis of blood and meat samples. Meat Science, 50:447-456.
Click here to return to the Homepage for more information on animal behavior, welfare, and care.