Livestock Handling and Transport, 3rd Edition
Temple Grandin, Department of Animal Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.A.
ISBN # 9781845932190
Published by CABI International
Researchers in animal science, welfare, verterinary science, and animal behaviour; and those involved in animal transportation and handling welfare. Veterinarians, livestock producers, and regulatory bodies will find a wealth of information in this book.
Handling and transport present some of the most severe stresses that farmed animals are likely to experience. A completely revised introductory chapter covers the animal welfare auditing programs of large corporate meat buyers and the development of worldwide standards. All aspects are covered including handling for veterinary and husbandry procedures, restraint methods, transport systems, and design of facilities on fram and at slaughter plants. This book covers both research and practical information on handling of cattle, sheep, pigs, horses, deer, and poultry.
- Temple Grandin and contributors are world authorities on animal handling, transportation, and welfare.
- Extensive revisions to many chapters include information on handling and transport in South America and developing countries
- Updated and revised to include the latest research, with three new authors and chapters on sheep transport, biosecurity, and low stress methods or sorting and weaning cattle.
- The best of the older material has been kept including the popular handling system layouts and behavior diagrams.
- Over 25 new photos and figures.
Reviews of the first edition
- "...a must for the libraries of research institutes and teaching establishments." Livestock Production Science
- "This book is a must for every library of veterinary medicine, animal science, and animal behaviour." American Veterinary Medical Association
- "For anyone involved in the animal transportation industry this is an essential reference work." Animal Transportation Association
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Effect of Customer Requirements, International Standards, and Marketing Structure on the Handling and Transport of Livestock and Poultry, T Grandin
- General Principles of Stress and Well-being, P.B. Siegel and W.B. Gross
- Causes of Poor Welfare and Welfare Assessment during Handling and Transport, D.M. Broom
- Behavioural Principles of Handling Cattle and Other Grazing Animals under Extensive Conditions, T. Grandin
- Low-stress Restraint, Handling and Weaning of Cattle, J.X. Stookey and J.X. Watts
- Handling Cattle Raised In Close Association with People, R. Ewbank and M. Parker
- Handling Facilities and Restraint of Range Cattle, T. Grandin
- Dairy Cattle Behaviour, Facilities, Handling, Transport, Automation, and Well-being, J. L. Albright and W.K. Fulwider
- Cattle Transport, T. Grandin and C. Gallo
- Behavioural Principles of Sheep Handling, G.D. Hutson
- Design of Sheep Yards and Shearing Sheds, A. Barber and R.B. Freeman
- Sheep Transport, M.S. Cockram
- Dogs for Herding and Guarding Livestock, L. Coppinger and R. Coppinger
- Behavioural Principles of Pig Handling, P.H. Hemsworth
- Transport of Pigs, E. Lambooij
- Handling and Transport of Horses, K.A. Houpt
- Deer Handling and Transport, L.R. Matthews
- Poultry Handling and Transport, C.A. Weeks
- Stress Physiology of Animals During Transport, T.G. Knowles and P.D. Warriss
- Handling and Welfare of Livestock in Slaughter Plants, T. Grandin
- Biosecurity for Animal Health and Food Safety, K.E. Belk, J.A. Scanga and T. Grandin
Click here to return to the Homepage for more information on animal behavior, welfare, and care.
Click here to order this book from Oxford University Press.
Click here to order this book from CABI International, the publisher.
Click here to order this book from Amazon.Com.